“For myself, I always write about Dublin, because if I can get to the heart of Dublin I can get to the heart of all the cities of the world. In the particular is contained the universal.” ~ James Joyce

Well...
we love you...
and...
Our entrance through the gates of St. Stephen's Green...
in Dublin...
was an early postcard from Spring...
and the perfect backdrop to absorb the beauty and historical reminders...
or in my case...
 new historical lessons.

Having read about the great potato famine
responsible for over 1 million deaths by starvation or epidimic disease between 1846-1851,  
this sculpture by Delaney is a moving reminder of those who suffered and died, 
and the 2 million more who fled their homeland to find food and work.

Also on the grounds...
James Joyce, born and raised in Dublin, watches over his beloved park...
"Crossing Stephen's,
that is my green..."

I vaguely remember studying Mythology at some point in my youth...
sorry History teachers of my past...
but I do not recall these three goddesses in charge of dispensing fate.




I don't think so...
however, the sculpture fountain is a thoughtful gift from the Germans to the Irish people for their help with refugees after WWII.

Walking through the park whose walls were first built in 1664, the term 'ancient commons' seems appropriate.  Although at one 'uncommon' time during the Easter Rising of 1916, the green was taken over by insurgents who halted fire with the British Army held up in a nearby hotel long enough for the groundskeeper to enter and feed the ducks.
Don't you just love that! 

I hope you enjoy your first day of Spring...
happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments are welcome here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...