"With a book called 'Keeping Score,' I really did want to write a book about the Korean War, because I felt that it is the least understood war in the American cultural imagination. So I set out with the idea that Americans didn't know much about the Korean War and that I was going to try to fix a tiny bit of that." ~ Linda Sue Park

Sitting in my thistle chair,
in the window box of our Aberdeen home,
the sun, which has been awake since 4:15 a.m.,
helps to clear out any lingering jet lag.
This is my favorite time of year in Scotland 
when the daylight hours far outweigh the darkness.
We watched the sunset last night around 10:00 p.m. from these beautiful grounds,
amidst the perfect hodge podge of locals and expats 
as we bid farewell to friends.
It was magical.

Meanwhile,
I have enjoyed my unstructured days away from the computer 
and realized this blogging gig isn't a job,
 demanding I post every weekday.
So
 a management decision has been made while on vacay
 to remove the self-imposed rigid format of five posts a week 
and lighten up,
chill out,
embrace randomness.
Traveling Simile has some catching up to do,
but hopefully quality will replace quantity.

Before jumping into our amazing visit to Marrakech,
I wanted to share more precious memories 
of my visit to Washington D.C. with my parents.

Going with my dad to the Korean War Veterans Memorial;
notice I said Korean War, not Korean Conflict,
was special.
His response to the insulting use of 'Conflict'?
Trudging through rice paddies, 
carrying a gun, 
getting shot at,
is war.
My mom and I listened to stories we had never heard before 
as he pointed and reminisced.
In addition to the time spent with my parents,
I came away with a few indisputable truths. 
The two men from Korea who approached my dad 
asking if they could have their photo taken with him…

represent a grateful country,
need no commentary,
 and still bring tears to my eyes.
A beautiful truth for those sitting back at home politickin.
Faces etched onto the granite wall represent the thousands of veterans
 who waited quite a while to be honored by their country. 

While at the memorial site, 
a teacher from a local school and her high school students performed a student written play.
After listening to their words,
it became apparent the research done was based on written accounts of reporters 
and others far replaced from actual service.
How would their play have differed 
if an actual Korean War Veteran had weighed in on their research?
I left feeling unsettled by the power of teachers 
and the responsibility of balance and truth as they educate our youth.
And then there is the truth known well by any family member 
of those who gave it all while defending freedom. 
Costly indeed.

Knowing full well this post would have been more meaningful on Memorial Day,
it is never too late to encourage you to take a veteran to see the Memorial in their honor.
 Or at the very least,
sit awhile and listen to their recollections.

Happy Monday. 

1 comment:

  1. The Koreans approaching your dad for a photo brought tears to my eyes. Very moving. And what a powerful memorial. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Nice comments are welcome here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...