“If the others heard me talking out loud they would think that I am crazy. But since I am not, I do not care.” ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

Not that we need a reason,
but one reason we drove to Edinburgh a few weekends ago was...
well, let me stop right here and preface with the truth.
For two whole weekends we hung around a very rainy and cold Aberdeen and my pouty lips were surfing the www for someplace warm and sunny to visit.
When nothing popped up, I began searching for a 'reason' to take a quick road trip.

was exhibiting the works of John Bellany and were ending the exhibit with a book study of Old Man and the Sea by Hemmingway.
Having read the book, Ren Man agreed (wink, wink)
that this Bellany might be worth checking out.

So, plans were made to head south for a one night get-away.
Having enjoyed Missoni a few times with 'the foodie', it would be the first visit with my honey...
so a spa date was in order.
Have I mentioned how much I LOVE the Missoni?

We motored on down in bright sunshine arriving in plenty of time for a meander around the cobbled stone streets around the hotel.

We dined at...
L'Escargot Bleu, where our server was more impressed with having horse on the menu than wowing us with their other choices.
Since we don't speak French...
we had not noticed that option on the daily blackboard specials and she seemed genuinely disappointed when no drama followed her revelation.

Nice enough meal sans horse...
 before heading to see Jersey Boys...
or so I thought...
 after overhearing Ren Man purchase tickets for the Edinburgh Playhouse.
Must-listen-more-closely.
The music of Frankie Valli was incredible even with the UK version and quite the wooden spoon to stir my musical memory.
I had no idea he and the Four Seasons had soooo many songs that marked events throughout my younger years.

Meanwhile...
the next day we had a chance to learn a bit about this fishermans son who painted about the life he knew.
Source
His "Old Man and the Sea" series were some of his later works and mimic the optimism of life...
while continuing his portrayal of the sea;
a common theme of Bellany.

Listening to the docent, I was reminded of how much I enjoy a stroll through a museum.
Even better when someone who is familiar with the artist shares their knowledge.

The National Gallery offers quite a selection of events for adults and children throughout the year.
A perfect reason to go to Edinburgh.
As if you need a reason.

Happy Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments are welcome here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...