"Do not abandon yourselves to despair. We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song." ~ Pope John Paul II

Rumor has it that hot cross buns baked and served on Good Friday will not spoil...
which might explain the phenomenon of this bun baked back in 1821.

Having seen and heard about these spiced sweet buns for two years now...
I decided to see what all the fuss was about.
Unfortunately,
because of the time needed for the mixing, kneading, rising, 
kneading again, and rising again...
my Hot Cross Buns were prepared yesterday and the house was filled 
with the smell of cinnamon and nutmeg.
 For those of you who want to pretend you just spent hours 
baking your own batch of Hot Cross Buns...
there is a way

One other little detail:
I totally dissed the British recipes because they kept calling for different types of flour not in my cupboard,
which sent me looking beyond the Isles.

I know, I know...
this is very British and should be made in the traditional manner, 
but leave it to Martha to have her own rendition 
with the cross made of yummy icing 
instead of a light flour mixture baked into the bun.

We did enjoy our buns warm from the oven this 'Good Friday' morning 
so technically, they might be in good shape to last.

Hot Cross Buns are a tradition worthy of adoption. 
Regardless of the busyness around...
when the time came to make the cross on top of each hot bun...
I pondered its significance.
Have a hallelujah weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments are welcome here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...