Thankful Thursday #2...

“The soft aroma of old worn cotton from a linen chest, the lingering smell of tobacco on an angora sweater; Jergen's hand lotion, sauteed green peppers and onions; the sweet, nutty smell of peanut butter and bananas, the oaken smell of good bourbon. A combination of lily of the valley, cedar, vanilla, and somewhere, the lingering of old rose. These smells are older than any thought. Mama, Teensy, Neecie, and Caro, each one of them had an individual scent, to be sure. But this is the Gumbo of their scents. This is the Gumbo Ya-Ya. This is the internal vial of perfume I carry with me everywhere I go.”
― Rebecca WellsDivine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

I am so very thankful for each and everyone of 'my' Ya-Ya's.  
Each stage of my life... or season as I like to call them...
has produced...
by the grace of God...
a group of friends that have weathered each particular season as we held onto our hats and held umbrellas for each other.

There are those childhood Ya-Ya's who, like good wine, have aged alongside me.
Then my Longhorn Ya-Ya's, who are like summer camp friends that I may only see once a year...
but when we get together its as if we have never been apart.
Of course, there are those friends that 'held me up like a good bra'...
 as we met head-on the challenges of raising our children.

Having moved so many times...
Ya-Ya friendships have flourished at each location;
Caracas Ya-Ya's who happen to be getting together in a few months for a reunion,
Mexico City Ya-Ya's,
and now Aberdeen Ya'Ya's all of who share the bond of living somewhere away from loved ones.
All of these friends add their own flavors to my Gumbo Ya-Ya. 
 I cherish them all and am honored to call each and everyone of them friend.

Have a thankful Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments are welcome here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...