London is so diverting...

So sorry, I can't help myself...
There are quotes from Pride and Prejudice that just float around in my head on a daily basis...

However, I am getting ahead of myself...

It has been a few days now, when I heard the mailman at the door...
and the next thing I knew...
instead of mail...

I realized that a visitor from Texas...
was tumbling into our house...
Cousin "M" had asked if her buddy could visit for awhile...
and Flat Stanley made it to Aberdeen just in time to accompany me to London...
by train...
remember... my earlier comments about how much I absolutely LOVE to travel by train...
well...
it's because...
I do NOT have to take my shoes off at the train station...
I do NOT have to step into a full body scanner at the train station...
and...
The nice attendant just checks my ticket and points me in the direction of the platform where the train is sitting and waiting peacefully...
and if that is not enough explanation...
when you look out your window...
you see this...
and this...
yes, those are golfers playing a round...
with that beautiful vista...
While visiting with a very nice couple sitting across the table from me I realized why I had not been able to find canola oil in the grocery stores...
Those beautiful yellow flowers...
are Brassica napus Linnaeus, known as rapeseed...
a member of the mustard or cabbage family, which yields about 40% oil...
in some cultures...
known as...
canola oil...
rapeseed oil is in every grocery store...
oh...the tidbits of valuable information you learn on a train...
seven hours later...
we were pulling into the Kings Crossing Train Station in London...
where we would venture down...
to the underground...
Stanley seemed to enjoy it all...
in fact...
I had to keep reminding him to hold on...
he was being a tiny bit reckless...
yelling...
"Look! No hands!"
However...
when we reached the platform...
he was not ready for the loud, roaring sound of the tube approaching...
or the crowd of people waiting...
I asked him if he was ready to "Mind the Gap?"
After finding our way to Bank using my fab new app...
London Tube...

we checked into...

the fabulous Threadneedles Hotel...

where I left Stanley in the room to rest...

so I could just wander around...
my favorite way to enjoy London...
and came across...
Old Spitalfields Market which has "been the sight of a busy market since 1638 when King Charles issued a license for people to sell fowl, flesh and roots" as noted on the link provided...
very cool...
and just outside the market...
where you can find candy from the olden days...
pure sugar mice...
and deliciously strong coffee...

art everywhere...
Scottish sculptor, Kenny Hunter won the inaugural contest...
his sculpture is a symbol for the waves of migration...
that over the years have depended on the market...
his sculpture beat out others...
and...
Well...
That's enough for one day...
Flat Stanley will be guest blogging tomorrow...
To share his faves...






No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments are welcome here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...