My Aberdeen Monday...

How many of you out there follow the curling circuit?
Are the curling events at the Olympics the ones that consume your viewing schedule?
Are you watching the World Men's Curling Championship taking place as we speak in Victoria, Canada?
Well, Scotland happens to be where the first recognized Curling Clubs began and wherever Scots have relocated through the years, 
curling has traveled with them.
 Its been on my bucket list ever since we arrived.

In a moment of transparency, let me tell you right now, I always wondered why it was considered a sport.
I mean, lets make table shuffleboard an event while we are at it.
Please don't tell me table shuffleboard is already an Olympic sport.  
Meanwhile, this is my apology to the world of curling from the bottom of my...
well, in this case the bottom of my bottom.
My cold bottom will be the first to tell you it is not as easy as it looks. 
After a few important details imparted by our patient instructor...
like...
always lead out with your slippery foot...
or the foot opposite your curling hand...
sit, stand, glide...
and most importantly...
let go of the stone.

After getting accustomed to my slippery foot (totally not the correct curling terms used here) and the discovery of this nifty contraption...
my bottom warmed up and I found my curling groove.

I was even able to refrain from laughing at his confidence in my ability...
 and listen when he pointed where he wanted me to deliver my stone.
Following his directions...
I watched as my stone made its way gracefully...
to rest in the blue.
the agony of curling.

Then, there is the sweeping which I did not like the sound of, but it is quite a workout...
because you have to stay out in front of the stone smoothing the path.  If the sweeper touches the stone it is out of play.  
Are you giggling?
My memories of watching this sport on television are filled with lots of giggling at the seriousness of the sweepers.
It turns out,
correct and strategic sweeping can lead the stone to victory.
No kidding.
Scoring was a bit of a let down.
It seems the only player (team) that scores in each game is the player with the stone(s) closest to the button (center).

Our group left vowing to return for some more curling fun only to learn that they let the ice melt through the spring/summer months and will re-open in September.
Until then, I will find some curling events to watch and learn...
 without smirking one bit.

Have you ever tried curling?

Happy Monday.



2 comments:

  1. Love this post!!! :-) I can just hear your words, and its cracking me up!

    ReplyDelete

Nice comments are welcome here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...