“Truck drivers will put us on their routes so they can get a couple of dozen footlongs and put them in their freezers until their next trip here,” ~ Schreiber, Ann's Dari Creme.

Ten hours on an airplane...
twice...
stuck with airplane food...
could have been the death of my Whole30 challenge, but I am happy to report that I am on day 23 of no dairy, no grains, no sugar and no alcohol.
With my bento box filled with veggies, fruit and bacon,  
and my new favorite snack...
as addictive as crack...
 which had to be hidden until our departure if it had any chance of making it in my carry-on,
our travels turned out to be painless.

A few blogs have helped immensely with food choices and tips on how to be prepared for most situations.
The recipe list on Nom Nom Paleo is pretty extensive and a link on her blog led to the above discovery.  
She even has an app for her recipes.

Meanwhile,
once we arrived in Maryland...
some restaurant choices were healthier than others.
Ren Man has been a customer of this local landmark for 40 of those 62 years and both of our kids are now fans... 
but personally,
I don't get it.
You are doomed from the start if you enter this joint without knowing what you want and how to order it.  
You weave your way into the (always) crowded door and hear others yelling their orders out to the familiar faces behind the counter and I think the phrase 'you snooze, you lose' was coined at Ann's because I would still be standing there...
waiting to order...
 if Ren Man had not come to my rescue.
Anywho...
I was pleased to have an excuse to miss out on the fun this time and waited in the car for a happy Ren Man to return with his bag of gold.
He would tell you...
it was the best meal of the entire trip.

On a healthier note...
we spent a sunny afternoon overlooking the Severn River and the Naval Academy...
while enjoying fresh Maryland crab...
 and the company of his mom at the Severn Inn.
If you are in the area...
it is a great place to spend the afternoon watching the boats sail by.
 Perfect days like that are my fave.

All of that on top of the football game and the reunion spent with Ren Man's friends of old, made for a lightning speed,fun-filled weekend.

Happy Thursday!




  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments are welcome here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...