"...all at once I saw a crowd, A host, of golden daffodils..." ~ William Wordsworth

I know I left you hanging in Mallaig...
right in the middle of the adventure with Pappaw and the Q-tips but then with all the Jubilee excitement...
well...
it will take the rest of this week to further entice a visit with more views of the Lake District in the Cumbria area of England, before we return to Scotland.

While in Grasmere...
we relaxed at the Wordsworth Hotel.

A great choice both day and night...
and I need my whole hand to count a few of the bonus highlights.

#1  When we checked in...
a wedding had taken place earlier in the church nearby...
and after the reception, before the music and dancing began...
we were treated to...
fireworks over the lawn.

#2  As we walked out the front door, we could smell the gingerbread...
being baked in the early hours next door...
in "Gate Cottage",once a village school back in 1630, but now home of the Grasmere Gingerbread Shop
where gingerbread has been baking since 1850.

The gingerbread alone is incredible, but is simply magical when topped with the rum butter!
Even Jamie Oliver has tried his hand at what he calls the 'ultimate gingerbread' recipe, since the 'real' recipe is locked away in a local bank vault.
All I know is...
I am pleased to know I can order online...
when I return to the other side of the pond.

#3  Across the street...
is where I want to work when I grow up.
Taffy Thomas was out on a story walk when we stopped by but happened to be the storyteller in residence one summer back in 2006 at the National Centre for Storytelling in Jonesborough, Tennessee.
Love it!

#4  Just down the street is Dove Cottage, home to William Wordsworth between the years of 1799-1808...
and the neighboring museum.

#5  Meandering through the village...
is peaceful...
and full of goodness all around.

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments are welcome here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...