"From ghoulies and ghosties And long-leggedy beasties And things that go bump in the night, Good Lord, deliver us!" ~Scottish Saying

In the past...
I have readily admitted my ignorance...
and realize that you will soon believe I am as dumb as a piece of burnt toast.

In support of that,
I continue to be amazed at my lack of knowledge on many topics.
My parents are giggling to themselves...
right this very moment...
and most likely my children as well.

Nonetheless,
I will admit my newest acquisition...
I am presently living in an area of Celtic heritage.
Always having heard the term Celtic this...
Celtic that...
I never took the time to clarify where that term originates.

The Celts were an Iron Age tribal society...
who spoke celtic languages...
one of them being Scottish Gaelic...
recently receiving renewed support 
to be included in school curriculum 
here in Scotland.


All of this news (to me)...
is to segue in to the connection between the Celtic culture...
and Halloween...
which is celebrated today...
and secretly supported by every dentist in the world!
Those Google people are so creative!


"Back in the old days, or once upon a time, in the tradition of fairy tales, there were the Celtic people and their Druid priests. The Druids were believed to have the ability, among other skills, to commune with the dead. Their powers, it was rumored, were much more powerful on the day of Samhain (pronounced sow-en), which was the last day of the year in the Celtic calendar. But, before believing that the Halloween celebration came directly from Samhain, a day mistakenly attributed directly to the Wiccans rather than to the Celts, you must understand that it is a blend ofHallowmas, a celebration of Catholic origins, as well as the Roman festival called Feralia."
Halloween.com


They have been celebrating with "fancy dress",
 as it is called here,
for days now.
Supposedly,
we will get trick-or-treaters,
and Ren Man is ready.


Whether you loathe this holiday...
or look forward to the opportunity to use all of your cute decorations...
Enjoy the last day of October, 2011...
and have a muahahaha...
Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments are welcome here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...