"Doubtless God could have made a better berry (than the strawberry), but doubtless God never did." ~ William Allen Butler

Before adding a quote to my posts...
I always look up the person given credit for the quote...
and today I was further entertained by the poem...
Willam Allen Butler is most famous.
became famous in 1857...
and tells about Flora McFlimsey of Madison Square...
who has nothing to wear... 
despite the fact that she lives to shop.

My mom often reminds me of one morning when I was five...
and came to her with a complaint similar to Ms. McFlimsey.
"Mom, I don't have anything to wear to school today."
My mom then proceeded to point to the closet full of clothes...
to which I replied...
"Mommy, don't be silly, I've already worn those!"

So...
as I move onto the real subject of todays post...
I continue to giggle at my...
five year old McFlimseyism.

Strawberries...
before I moved to Aberdeen...
were one of my favorite fruit because every once in a while...
I would pick a yummy looking strawberry out of the bunch...
and it would be perfectly sweet. 

Holy cow...
the strawberries here have moved this fruit... 
to the very top of my favorite fruit list!
Maybe even my favorite food list!
EVERY strawberry is perfection. 
It is impossible to get enough of these sweet, soft nuggets of goodness into my diet.
Every berry I pick up is better than the one before...
I am not exaggerating!

I eat them plain...
out of this bowl...

or with a dollop of greek yogurt on top...
or sliced up in a spinach salad...
or in my chicken salad recipe instead of green grapes!
They are amazing... 
and I am wishing I could send you each a pint or two just so you don't think I'm woofin'...
and so you can make this recipe that has strawberries on top...
where they should be! 

I was extremely pleased when one of the blogs...
 I check out daily...
spotlighted a recipe for...

Click here on Whiffs! or on the tab above for my adaptation of this incredible recipe.

FYI...
Today is the longest day of the year...
which means, here in Aberdeen...
 the sun rose this morning at 4:12 a.m....
and will set at 10:08 p.m.


In celebration of the longest day... 
 invite someone over for coffee or tea...
and serve them a slice of summer!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments are welcome here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...