"I like the silent church before the service begins..." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

When we walked upon Stavanger Cathedral...
I was attracted to its external beauty and history...
built in 1125, it is the only Norwegian cathedral from the middle ages that has been in constant use and still has its original appearance...
The moment I opened the unpretentious front door...
and entered...
it was the silence that I noticed first...
seconds before my eyes adjusted to the warm candlelight...
and tiny rays of sunshine...
gleamed through the stained glass windows...
when the stillness amplified the beauty inside...
The organ pipes rest majestically above the entry and would be amazing to hear on Thursdays when there is music and meditation...
but for now the organ sits quietly next to the exquisite pulpit...
which was carved in the mid 17th century...
by, Andrew Smith, from Scotland.
I found this incredible night photo by architecture.desktopnexus.com...

Happy May Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments are welcome here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...